Thursday, July 23, 2009

ClassicBlueBeetle stage1


In celebration of my rekindled love of classic GoldenAge characters (or to exercise the demons) however you wanna look at it. I've done a bunch of speed sketches of different guys...and then colored'em so they'd be semi-worthy to post. A couple years ago I had a rash of mini-obsessions with certain characters. BB here always comes back to haunt me.

This is how Blue Beetle first looked when he appeared in MysteryMen in 1939. This look didn't last long, but it resonates for me because it's a signpost for the spirit of the Blue Beetle. The character has always been treated with a "willingness-to-change" and distort to keep the character going. It's interesting to watch, not just the physical changes, but the back story alterations too.

This is the first in a series

No comments: