Friday, July 10, 2009

Batboys



DISCLAIMER: I have not read this new crop of Bat-books, so if you want to dismiss my uneducated and uninformed opinions, I give you the opportunity to disregard this and not waste your time reading it.


That being said...I understand many of the choices made in the latest changes to the Bat-family universe were made for dramatic impact OR to draw out the whole shittery as long possible. I'm throwing this out there again, I DO NOT read all 12 of these books on a regular basis, so I don't know if they've morphed these characters INTO the types of characters that would do these sort of things, but it seems like some of the actions don't stand to reason. It feels to me, like some of the character's actions are soley to move the story in the direction that's wanted, NOT to service the character's true motivation.

Dick Grayson, happy go fuckin lucky boy wonder turned darker solo hero in a different city. To me, I always thought some of the entitlement went to his head. To storm off in a huff and quit being a sidekick because he doesn't want to play second fiddle anymore, seems to be the seed of not wanting to be a team player. There's already multiple issues against THAT theory w/ him staying w/ the Titans and whoever the hell else. The problem that I see (which is a common one) the guys in charge think "No, this will be cooler." Regardless of whether it stands to reason with the characters true motivation. I don't think Dick would take over the Bat-mantle...for a couple reasons: One, if he was so disenfranchised with the whole hero/sidekick arrangement, why would he choose to become a part of one? Two, I don't think Dick has it in him to take over for the identity that (whether he likes it or not) has a God-like status in his eyes. Now I realize the new Batman&Robin dynamic that everybody loves wouldn't work w/o Dick as Bats and that Damian kid as the new Robin. But whether he's known Bruce the longest or not, he was RAISED by Batman, he was trained throughout his entire life by this mythic figure. I think it's more realistic to say he would be one of the people saying that NO ONE can fill those shoes and show a great disapproval towards whoever did take on the cowl.

Tim, even though his "stuck as a 14 year old" status wouldn't physically work for the new Batman, I think he's the ONLY choice for the Batman takeover. He's the only faithful ward to ever come into the Batman/Robin relationship on a more equal footing. Obviously no Robin will ever be EQUAL to Batman, they're called a sidekick for a reason. But Tim was a partner and is the only one that has the makings to produce a quality Dark Knight. I hope that in the worldly travels that they're sending him on, have him return seeming older and more suited for the role than he already is. Tim made the Robin character kick more ass than it ever had before. The skills that he had even before Bruce's training set him on the path to become someone LIKE Batman already. I think that the hurt Bruce feels from losing Dick and Jason (as different as the losses were) would make him have much less of an "old chum" sort of relationship between he and Tim. That would allow for a hardening of Tim that would facilitate the transformation into Bats even more.


I like the simplistic design of Tim's costume and the old school comic booky illiteration of the adjusted name, RedRobin. The direction that they're taking him now has the possiblity of being cool, but i have a feeling that regardlesss of the mysteries he uncovers, the glory of uncovering those mysteries will be left to Dick because he's the one in the BatSuit. It'll be more graphically dramatic to have Batman on his knees holding the recently recovered body (alive or not) of Bruce Wayne. I personally don't think Dick has the chops, if they're true to the characters, Tim would blow the lid off whatever their plans are...whether he'll get to do so, though? Doubtful. I've seen a whole bunch of folks pissed because Tim is not the new Nightwing....WORST IDEA EVER! If there was a better way to completely invalidate Tim's character? I can't think of it. They made the right choice by having Tim make his OWN new version or darker version of Robin. Nightwing is Dick Grayson, and there's nothing wrong with leaving it that way. DC pulling back on the whole "rotating indistinguishable white guy in a mask" thing is not a bad idea. The Flash has the market cornered on his end, let's not let that weakness into the Bat-family.


I love reading all the nerd detectives exposing the timeline discrepancies and age inaccuracies. I'm not being sarcastic, I enjoy that chore in fiction of keeping the history accurate and so I appreciate the work that these guys do when they uncover something decent. I think job one of this whole mess of crap should be to start skewing Tim older. He should be reflected as at least 19 or 20 by now. All the adventures he's had with Batman, not to mention all he's had on his own, in his own book, can service to age him a little. We also have a new kid in the mix- this Damian kid is now the kid, Tim doesn't have to be anymore. Speaking of Damian and his age, I'm understanding he's supposed to be 10 years old. FUCKING TEN YEARS OLD! What the hell is wrong with these writers? The question every character has should be, "What the fuck is Dick thinking letting a 10 year old jump out of a fucking plane, let alone suit up and fight crime?" I realize Batman started all this young boy sidekick stuff, but Bruce would roll over in his temporary grave if he saw that. How would Gordon of all people be cool with that? I can just SEE Bruce smacking Dick in the back of the head (when he gets back) and saying, "What were you thinking?"


Last tidbit- I don't know, because again, I havn't read every page of the 9 ongoing books that catalogue these events, but they should have these guys stick to their weapons of choice. They (the writers) should pay a little more attention to the man/boy BENEATH the mask and not just the mask itself. Dick has been jumping off rooftops for YEARS as Nightwing using to batons two crack heads. What about a cape and pointy ears would make him, the man beneath the cowl, give that up? I havent' seen one shot of new (more slender Bats) brandishing batons like he has for years. What's up with that? Tim kept his staff. I don't know, I like details like that.


I welcome your insights (those of you that do pick these up on a regular basis) lemme know your thoughts and whether your empty wallet is justified.
-matt

No comments: