Friday, May 01, 2009

Dirty Inks over clean lines


Heya folks.
So I've been inking...and every dribble of the black stuff that I put down on page has made me more appreciative of good inkers.
I would be proud to be called a "Fuckin' Tracer!" as long as I was doing a good job. My first major foray into sequential inking was over Scotty's lines for "Found In The Desert" in the MAM Spring issue. I had asked Scott if I could do sketchy stylized inks (ala Barry Windsor-Smith) to give our Western Monster story a little more authentic feel. I thought it turned out alright, but technically I was "trying something else" not actually trying to do a good solid and accurate ink job. There's a few pages that I get to screw up with ink in the next issue of MAM and I'm trying to play it straight. I'm trying to stick to the original art in every way, lineweights, hatching, spot blacks, etc.
When I saw Scotty's lines for his "Pulp Heroes" I decided to cut loose and try some "dirty inks." I tried to limit my use of technical pens and use mostly brushes. I got to leave a tone of voids and even added different values that weren't in the original lineart.
So here ya go...who doesn't love a big Ol' NaziRobot?
-matt

No comments: